University of Córdoba

portrait.jpg

The origin of the National University of Córdoba is associated, like other institutions of higher education in Latin America, with Jesuit management. In June 1613, Bishop Fernando de Trejo y Sanabria made a commitment to Father Provincial Diego de Torres to give up capital and thus found Latin, arts and theology studies. The University of Córdoba was born as a university independent of the royal authority.
The adoption of universal suffrage by the Saenz Peña Law (1912), coinciding with new student aspirations, gave way to university reform. The main aspects of the university reform of 1918 were the establishment of shared management between teachers, students and graduates; the quality of teaching guaranteed by public methods of teacher selection; and the commitment to social transformation. The twenty-first century has seen the re-establishment of the role of the state in the design and implementation of higher education, science and technology policies, visible through a steady increase in the budget.
Today, the UNC strives to deepen its engagement with society by generating scientific and technical policies that place it in the field of scientific-technological and productive innovation as well as in the democratising aspects of education.
The National University of Córdoba (UNC) has approximately 136,000 students. Divided between the Ciudad Universitaria and the historical centre of Córdoba, the UNC - also known as Casa de Trejo - has 15 faculties, 2 secondary schools, 145 research centres and institutes, 25 libraries, 17 museums, a laboratory, 2 hospitals, a blood bank, 2 astronomical observatories, a nature reserve, as well as a multimedia communication system consisting of 2 television channels, 2 radios (AM and FM) and an information portal.

© 2021 TPTI. Tous droits réservés.